Wike Tinubu 2027 election prospects look stronger, with the FCT minister saying a divided opposition makes Tinubu’s re-election easier
Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, on Monday, 17 August 2026, in Abuja, said President Bola Ahmed Tinubu would face an easier path to victory in the 2027 presidential election than he did in 2023, citing what he described as a weakened and fragmented opposition.
Also read: Fayose Alleges APC Spent ₦60bn on Osun Vote Buying
Wike made the declaration while speaking during an inspection of areas affected by flooding in the Federal Capital Territory.
The former Rivers State governor argued that opposition parties had been significantly weakened by defections and political realignments ahead of the next presidential election.
“This election, the 2027 election, will be the easiest election for Mr President. 2023 was a tough election for him,” Wike said.
Tinubu won the 2023 presidential election with 8,794,726 votes, according to the Independent National Electoral Commission.
Atiku Abubakar of the Peoples Democratic Party received 6,984,520 votes, while Peter Obi of the Labour Party polled 6,101,533.
The election was therefore closely contested, with Tinubu securing about 36.6 per cent of the votes cast.
Wike believes the political landscape has since changed significantly.
“This election, where the opposition has been crippled, you know what it means? Depleted; they finished them,” he said.
His comments come as opposition politicians continue to explore alliances and new political platforms ahead of the 2027 contest.
The shifting alignments have included defections and efforts to build broader coalitions aimed at challenging the ruling All Progressives Congress.
Wike argued that a credible opposition needed more than a collection of politicians moving between political parties shortly before an election.
“For you to be opposition to remove a government, it must be what you call a strong, vibrant opposition that has stayed for over four years planning, not opposition that is looking for a party to run to,” he said.
He was particularly dismissive of the prospects of any opposition candidate confronting Tinubu under the current circumstances.
“If it is this 2027 election against Bola Ahmed Tinubu, no, forget it. It’s over,” Wike declared.
The minister also rejected the suggestion that criticism of the Federal Government could significantly influence the outcome of the next election.
He said media appearances and political commentary would not erase what he described as the administration’s achievements since Tinubu assumed office in May 2023.
Wike acknowledged that the government had not solved every problem facing Nigeria but maintained that progress had been made in several areas.
“That does not mean I claim that we have solved all problems, no. Are we solving problems? Yes. Have we solved major problems? Yes. Will we continue to solve problems? Yes,” he said.
His assessment of Tinubu’s electoral prospects is likely to attract further debate as the 2027 election approaches. Opposition parties have continued to discuss possible alliances, while the strength of any eventual coalition will depend on its ability to agree on a common platform and candidate.
Beyond national politics, Wike used the inspection tour to issue a forceful warning over flooding and illegal development in Abuja.
He directed the FCT Development Control Department to demolish houses found to have been constructed on waterways, regardless of the status of their owners.
“I’m going to bring those houses down! Any house that’s found on the water channel will go down!” Wike said.
He insisted that enforcement would continue irrespective of the approaching election season.
The minister also criticised the conversion of designated green areas in Abuja into commercial developments and said the administration would not preserve unlawful developments simply because they had existed for years.
Meanwhile, Wike said desilting and other interventions would continue in flood-prone areas, including Lokogoma and the Yakubu Gowon Crescent area of Asokoro.
He urged residents to play their part by disposing of waste properly and avoiding activities that block drainage channels.
With the 2027 presidential contest still ahead, Wike’s confident prediction represents one of the strongest endorsements yet of Tinubu’s re-election prospects from within the administration.
Also read: Doris Ogala Vows to Become Next Abia Governor
Whether the opposition can overcome its current divisions and mount a credible challenge will become clearer as the political parties move towards the next electoral cycle.



