Wednesday, May 20, 2026
No menu items!
HomeBreaking UpdatesPeter Obi Reacts to Jonathan 2027 Speculation After NDC Screening

Peter Obi Reacts to Jonathan 2027 Speculation After NDC Screening

Peter Obi reacts to Goodluck Jonathan 2027 race speculation, saying he remains focused on rebuilding Nigeria after NDC presidential screening

Former Labour Party presidential candidate, Mr Peter Obi, has said he is not disturbed by growing speculation over a possible return of former President Goodluck Jonathan to the 2027 presidential race.

Also read: PDP Clears Goodluck Jonathan for 2027 Presidential Race on Automatic Waiver

Peter Obi made the remarks on Tuesday while speaking with journalists shortly after he was screened as the presidential candidate of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) ahead of the 2027 general elections.

The screening comes amid reports that a factional structure of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has declared Jonathan as its presidential candidate following its own internal screening process in Abuja.

Responding to questions about the possible political rivalry, Obi said he was not focused on who enters the race but on what he described as the urgent task of rebuilding Nigeria.

“Democracy is about people offering themselves for service and being voted for. I’m not in any way going around looking for who is contesting. I’m concentrating on how to build a better Nigeria,” he said.

Obi added that his priority ahead of the 2027 elections remains the creation of a secure, united and productive country where citizens can live without fear and economic hardship.

He stressed the need to tackle insecurity, hunger and corruption, insisting that public resources must be used for the benefit of all Nigerians rather than a privileged few.

The former Anambra State governor also described his screening by the NDC as a demonstration of democratic accountability, noting that the exercise allowed the party to properly verify candidates’ qualifications and commitments.

READ ALSO  Saraki Denies 2027 Presidency Run, Backs Southern Zoning

Obi further dismissed claims that he had been endorsed as a consensus candidate, stating that the process remained open and competitive, with candidates required to formally express interest and purchase nomination forms.

Also readl: PDP Clears Goodluck Jonathan for 2027 Presidential Race on Automatic Waiver

He commended the NDC for conducting what he described as a transparent and structured screening exercise ahead of the 2027 presidential contest.

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -spot_img

Most Popular

Recent Comments

NaijaPolitics